Observations from a full-time stay-at-home Dad, part-time adventure seeker, and recent transplant to Down East Maine.

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Weird Winter

Last year, at this time, we had over 3 feet of snow on the ground with more on the way. It was crazy. It was record-setting. And, it was a huge pain in the ass. For everyone. Many folks around here lost power for days, multiple times during the season. In short, it was a nightmare of a winter.

This winter has been the polar opposite. So far, we've had a total of two storms, each dropping 6 inches of snow or less. And temps have been warm enough to melt it all within a week, or two. Today it's 43 degrees outside and tomorrow it's going to get close to 60 with rain. So, any remaining snow will be just a memory by Groundhog Day.

Now, for most people that would be a blessing. And I guess I can't really blame them. Especially after last year. But I was really looking forward to snowhoeing and cross country skiing this season. Not being able to run has really limited my outdoor work-out options and I was hoping to base most of my winter training around those two activities.

Oh well, at least I can still hike. And mountain bike. In January. I suppose when mother nature decides to skip winter and go right into spring, it's best just to smile, make the most of it, and be thankful your lights still work.




No comments:

Post a Comment