Observations from a full-time stay-at-home Dad, part-time adventure seeker, and recent transplant to Down East Maine.

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Job Hunting

I went to my first job interview in 23 years, last week. 

Well, to be honest, it was less job interview and more job discussion, really. I met with a local Architect at his office downtown and we talked about life here in Ellsworth, what the economy is like, what's going on for construction, and where the best opportunities might be for me to find part-time employment. 

This was good for me on many levels.

Firstly, in preparing for it, I had to exhume and update my professional resume. Some dust on that puppy, for sure. Secondly, I needed to cull through 23 years of project images and put together a brief slide show of my "greatest hits" - both in design and construction. And finally, I was forced to "break the ice" on my long-dormant interviewing skills.

None of those three things ended up being necessary for this particular discussion, but it was good to get them out of the way. You know, for next time. When it counts.

Anyway, at the very least, I made a new friend in Ellsworth. Someone who has given me some good leads and is an excellent point of contact for future work. Also, I may end up working with him (pro bono) on a non-profit project he's got going on nearby. An opportunity to prove myself, meet some local folks, and keep my head in the game. All of which are worthwhile.  

Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment