Observations from a full-time stay-at-home Dad, part-time adventure seeker, and recent transplant to Down East Maine.

Friday, January 29, 2016

The Young And The Coreless

So, after six weeks of going to the gym here in Ellsworth, I have my workout routine pretty much dialed in. I drop the kids off at school around 7:45am, hit the pool by 8:00, swim for 30 minutes, then head to the elliptical machine for another 30 minutes of "pretend" running (or 30 minutes of cycling if it's a spin day), followed by 10 minutes of rowing, and 20 minutes on the stair climber. 

In total 90 minutes of exercise a day. Which, along with better nutrition (portion control and better snacking mostly), has helped me lose about 10 pounds. And, has made me feel pretty good about myself and my fitness. That is, until yesterday. That's when, after getting out of the pool (as usual) and heading over to the fitness room (as usual), my peppy spin class instructor implored me to "Try out his core class, dude". 

I reluctantly agreed, then proceeded to replace my standard 30 minutes of elliptical with 30 minutes of pretty much flopping around on the floor like a fish. He had us do 4 rotations of burpees, jack-knifes, front planks, side planks & leg kicks. I tried, and failed, at doing anything whatsoever that resembled the above mentioned torture tests. The rest of my mostly younger classmates executed them flawlessly and without a great deal of effort. I, on the other hand, looked like I was being electrocuted. Slowly.

Needless to say, I have a lot of work to do on my s0-called abs. Who may, or may not, ever speak to me again.



Self-Portrait With Abs




No comments:

Post a Comment