Observations from a full-time stay-at-home Dad, part-time adventure seeker, and recent transplant to Down East Maine.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Down East Sunrise

This past Saturday morning, I grabbed my cross country skis and headed over to nearby Hancock, Maine to check out a bit of the Down East Sunrise Trail.

The Down East Sunrise Trail is an 85-mile multi-use corridor (formerly a train bed) connecting Ellsworth to Ayers Junction in eastern Maine. It serves as a major portion of the northeastern head of the East Coast Greenway. The Sunrise Trail is designed to accommodate hiking, mountain bikes, ATVs, horses, cross country skis and snowmobiles. 

On this day, I was the only one out there and pretty much had my run of the machine packed trails. That is, until a very excited sled dog team (along with a passenger and TWO drivers) almost rolled me on a tight corner near the trail head. I wanted to snap a picture, but it was all I could do to side-step out of the way before being side-swiped. Still, a pretty cool sight seeing them haul ass down the trail. Jumping and yelping the whole way. 

The next day, it rained like crazy and all the snow melted. Hopefully I'll be able to get back out there again soon. But, with the way this "winter" has been going, who knows whne that will be.

 
 





 



No comments:

Post a Comment