Observations from a full-time stay-at-home Dad, part-time adventure seeker, and recent transplant to Down East Maine.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Spin Cycle

Since I'm not currently running (or working for that matter) I have been spending a lot more time at the gym than I ever have before.

For me, a typical gym day at the Ellsworth YMCA consists of an equal portion of elliptical, rowing/climbing, and swimming. Three times a week I substitute spinning (bike) for the swimming. And let me tell you, that class sure does make me earn it! 


It's your stereotypical spin class: 1 high energy male instructor, 12 housewife/second shift nurses, and me. Toiling away at the back of the class trying to keep up without falling down. By the end, my lungs are aching, my heart is racing and the sweat is just pouring off me. In fact, when I stagger out of that stuffy classroom, I'm so wet that it's like I've just stepped out of the pool. Meanwhile, the ladies in the class are chatting away, hardly breathing, barely glistening and annoying the crap out of me!

It's amazing how unfit I've become since I stopped running. And how quickly it all happened. One month I'm running a 50k in the woods and the next I'm being dropped from an estrogen fueled peloton. Oh well, at least when I do finally keel over from a heart attack, I'll have plenty of skilled healthcare workers nearby to revive me!

Don't mind the sweat, ladies.


 
 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment