Observations from a full-time stay-at-home Dad, part-time adventure seeker, and recent transplant to Down East Maine.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Read Write & Blue

Since I'm not running (and barely working) I've had a lot more time lately to focus on my writing - both in this blog and on My Book.

One of the things that I've done to facilitate that is to join a writing group. Three in fact! I suppose, what Downeast Maine lacks in wintertime events it more than makes up for in writing groups. There are no less than three such groups (that I know of) which meet weekly within a 1/2 hour drive from my house.

The first group I met with was at the Ellsworth Library. They get together on Thursday evenings. They typically begin each meeting with a "writing prompt", which is designed to get the creative juices flowing. Then each member can choose to read a selection of their work for the others to critique.

The second group I attended was at the Blue Hill Library.
They meet on Thursday mornings. Writers from this group submit their stories a few days in advance of the meeting and the members provide written reviews of each, which are then discussed at the meeting itself.

The final group I visited was at the Jesup Memorial Library in Bar Harbor. They connect every Saturday morning in one of the most amazing little library's I've ever seen. If you're in the area (and like architecture, woodwork, cool spaces and interesting detailing) I highly recommend it.

Each of these three groups offered something different and I'll probably continue going to all of them, as my schedule allows. It's been a great boost to my writing, and has helped me meet a bunch of new (and like-minded) friends.


Jesup Memorial Library - Bar Harbor, Maine

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I missed you at the EPL writing group. I was giving an author talk last month (well I showed up but no one else did) but plan to attend the next meeting in February. Sandy sent me the link to your blog. Always happy to hear of another writer trying to get a book published.

    ReplyDelete