Observations from a full-time stay-at-home Dad, part-time adventure seeker, and recent transplant to Down East Maine.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Treasure Hunting

One of the new friends I made here in Ellsworth recently sent me a link to the Schoodic Sculpture Symposium.  

The Symposium is a biennial cultural event that brings together artists, visitors, and communities to create a Public Sculpture Collection in eastern Maine. Each symposium last 6-weeks, from late July to early September. Artists from around the world are selected through a juried process to participate. Visitors can watch the sculptures in progress. The sculptures are then placed at public sites in various Maine communities.

It began in 2007 and since then a total of 34 sculptures have been built and erected along the Down East coast of Maine - from Deer Isle to Calais. Each sculpture is made from genuine Maine Granite but are as different from each other as the artists who conceived them.

Prior to learning about the Symposium, I discovered one of it's installations in Blue Hill. It was carved by Japanese artist Hitoshi Tanaka and it is titled "The Window of the Sea Wind". It drew me in like a magnet and then framed my view of the bay and the sea beyond. It was fantastic!

Now that I know there are others, and have a map to find them, I look forward to searching for these treasures all along the coast I now call home.



No comments:

Post a Comment