Observations from a full-time stay-at-home Dad, part-time adventure seeker, and recent transplant to Down East Maine.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Hike-a-Bike

I tried to squeeze an afternoon of mountain biking into my final few hours of "bachelorhood" on Sunday, but the carriage roads of Acadia were having none of it. They had just a little too much snow and ice on them for my limited (non-existent?) mountain biking skills.

So after about an hour of hike-a-bike (basically giving my bike a nice leisurely walk) I ditched it and went for a plain old hike-a-mike instead. I was near The Bubbles at the time, so I decided to climb them while I was in the area. I'd seen North and South Bubble from the Jordan Pond House, but never climbed them, before today.
Both of these beautiful little peaks have easily climbed trails that go directly to the summits. In addition to being a wonderful viewpoint, South Bubble also has a famous tourist attraction: Bubble Rock (aka. Balanced Rock), a large boulder that was carried by glaciers and precariously deposited at the edge of a cliff. I got close. But not too close.

It wasn't part of the original plan, but I'm glad I got a chance to see these two peaks up close. And, all by myself. I'm really enjoying exploring Acadia in the off-season. I hope I like it just as much when the tourists arrive.










No comments:

Post a Comment