Observations from a full-time stay-at-home Dad, part-time adventure seeker, and recent transplant to Down East Maine.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

South Ridge Sunset

After taking care of Ethan & Emily during February Vacation, Johanne did me a solid and took the kids to Canada for the weekend to visit her family. Leaving me with 2 1/2 days to do whatever I wanted. Provided, of course, I did whatever she wanted, on her honey-do list.

My first stop, as always, on my "bachelor" weekend itinerary was Acadia National Park. Exciting, I know. Right? This is how my mind works. Forget booze, women, and song. Give me trail, mountain, and pond. Ok, and maybe a little bit of ice cream too.


Anyway, despite it being later in the day than my normal start time, I decided a late afternoon red-line hike up Cadillac Mountain was in order. I chose the South Ridge Trail and, long story short, I think I've found my new favorite trail.  It was 3 1/2 miles of gloriously runnable path with fantastic views of the park and the ocean beyond.

I ran up in a fairly quick 55 minutes (despite the snow and ice) then lollygaged my way back down in a glacial 95 minutes, soaking in the views and the atmosphere. With the sun setting on my right and the moon rising on my left, it was quite an amazing experience. Almost magical.


I can't wait to come back and do it again. Next time, with a little less ice, and hopefully a few more friends.
























 

No comments:

Post a Comment