Observations from a full-time stay-at-home Dad, part-time adventure seeker, and recent transplant to Down East Maine.

Friday, February 5, 2016

Legomania - Part 2

My 5-year old son and I have an interesting and complicated relationship. He's very bright and always eager to learn. But, at times, he's also a little devil who just loves pushing my buttons. Especially when we're playing Lego's. 

Lego building is currently his all-time favorite hobby. So much so that, now, Lego Masterbuilder has overtaken Fireman and Policeman at the top of his list of things he wants to be when he grows up. And, it's always the first activity he asks me to do with him when he gets home from school.

The problem is that he's also VERY particular when it comes to building with Legos. If the vehicle, or building, or monster we're working on is not exactly the way he wants it, he has absolutely no trouble letting me know.  At first it starts with a raised eyebrow, then a groan, and then (when I'm not looking) he removes the offending piece and replaces it with one that he prefers.


As an architect who prides himself on creativity, I like thinking outside the box when playing with Lego's. I don't use instructions and pretty much build whatever pops into my head in whatever way I'm inspired to build it. This, of course, does NOT fly with the boy. If what I'm building isn't "right", then I hear about it. Quite loudly, in fact.

Last week, he asked me to build two Star Wars themed Lego vehicles. An Imperial Star Destroyer and a Tie Fighter. Both projects pretty much went the same way. I started building and he fought me every step of the way. They were "wrong", "terrible", and "ugly". In short, he hated them. Both. And let me know it. Slammed doors, screaming, the works.

However, once he got a chance to spent some time with them, he decided that he, in fact, loved them. How do I know this?  Well, firstly, he didn't destroy them. Secondly, he put them on the "shelf of fame" in his bedroom. Thirdly, and probably more telling, was that he said to his Mom he thought they were "awesome". 

Something he couldn't bring himself to admit to me.

Now, I'm not sure exactly why this is. Maybe he felt bad for over-reacting in the first place. Maybe, he thinks it's uncool to show affection to your Dad. Or maybe, he just likes getting a rise out of me to see how I will react. Whatever the reason, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have my work cut out for me - raising this littlest Wade.

I just hope I survive the "terrible" phase and can move quickly to the "awesome/shelf of fame" phase before I get destroyed. 







No comments:

Post a Comment