Observations from a full-time stay-at-home Dad, part-time adventure seeker, and recent transplant to Down East Maine.

Monday, December 21, 2015

Making Friends and Eating Bacon

Once we decided to move, but before I finally set sail for Maine, I did a little searching for running groups in the Ellsworth area. Two groups I came across right away were Crow Athletics and a subset of Crow called Acadian Group Runners. I made contact with both groups, to inquire about the running scene downeast, and received many warm and helpful responses.  One of the runners, Andrew Tiemann, even offered to take me out to breakfast at his favorite Ellsworth diner, once I arrived. An offer that I was finally able to take him up on this past weekend.

We met a Martha’s Diner on Route 1 in Ellsworth and, faster than the attentive waitresses could re-fill our coffee cups, we immediately dove into conversation. Andrew has lived in Ellsworth for 18 years, so he had a lot of vital info to share about the area. As a fellow runner and marathoner, the intel mostly revolved around the best places in town to eat. But we also talked schools, politics, real estate, and other non-running related topics.

Our omelets were delicious. He got his usual, “The Lamoine” with tomatoes, peppers, onions, and mushrooms and I went with “The Sullivan”, piled high with bacon. By the end of the meal I was stuffed, but also filled with joy at having made my first, of hopefully many, Ellsworth friends. 





No comments:

Post a Comment