Observations from a full-time stay-at-home Dad, part-time adventure seeker, and recent transplant to Down East Maine.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Mainely Research



I always find that the best place to begin an exploration is in a library, or a bookstore. Our latest adventure began at Bookmarc's Bookstore (Stephen King's favorite) on Harlow Street in Downtown Bangor, where the kids and I picked up these three books.

My book, An Explorer's Guide to Maine, is pretty much the perfect "How-To" book in terms of places to go, stuff to do, and things to see in Maine. You name it: Maps, History, Attractions, Restaurants, Hotels, Etc. It's all there. Including info on hours, prices, directions and where or not something is kid friendly. A must have for a first-time Mainer like me!


Emily picked up, The Pocket Book for Daring Girls. A hardcover gem filled with all sorts of useful information for adventurous girls. Subjects include: How to paddle a canoe, how to look at a leaf, how to make your own zipline, and how to be a spy. Fun and informative stuff!


Ethan got it's companion, The Pocket Book for Dangerous Boys. And, I can't think of a more appropriate title for my little trouble maker. Subjects include: Making a bow and arrow, making a go cart, making a bottle rocket and how to tie a knot. And yes, I'll be watching my back from now on!


Now, armed with a little local research, we head off to explore our new surroundings. Join us won't you? We'll provide our maps and guides, if you provide your sense of adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment