Observations from a full-time stay-at-home Dad, part-time adventure seeker, and recent transplant to Down East Maine.

Friday, December 18, 2015

Kitchen - The Final Frontier

As a now stay-at-home parent, the task of making meals for the family has fallen on me. And, I won’t lie, of all the things that scare me about my “new” life here in Maine, this is probably the scariest. In a previous life, as a single Dad working full time, dinners were an endless stream of easy-to-prepare, but nutritionally questionable, processed frozen food. Chicken nuggets, french fries, pizza, fish sticks, etc. Quick meals. Perfect for a crazed Dad who’s short on time and in over his head in the kitchen.

But, now that I have a little more time on my hands, and know a little bit more about the stuff that those sorts of foods contain, I feel like I owe it to myself (and my family) to try and prepare more nutritional (and hopefully more tasty) food options. So, earlier this week (and for the first time EVER) it was time for me to put on my chef’s hat and try preparing a dish using a (gulp) recipe.

The menu choice for this night was a crispy, parmesan chicken. And, despite my initial misgivings, it actually turned out OK. I didn’t burn the chicken (or the house down). I prepared the meal with a minimum of collateral kitchen mess. And, most importantly, the kids actually liked it! Hopefully, as my confidence builds and my culinary repertoire grows, I will attempt some more adventurous dishes.

But, until then, I will continue to keep things simple.

…and the fire extinguisher close by.


The Recipe










The Process










The Result

No comments:

Post a Comment