Observations from a full-time stay-at-home Dad, part-time adventure seeker, and recent transplant to Down East Maine.

Saturday, December 23, 2017

Afternoon in Acadia


Last week I went for the first, of what will hopefully be a great many, hikes in Acadia National Park. The trail I chose to hike was the North Ridge Trail. It goes 2.5 miles from the Loop Road to the summit of Cadillac Mountain. And, it marked the first time (in 20 years of hiking) that I ever climbed a mountain NOT in the state of New Hampshire.

The day was cold and clear, with just a little bit of wind. It had rained the day before so there was some residual wetness on the rocks with a few icy spots. Especially near the summit. But, I came prepared and was soon crunching along the ice with my micro-spikes firmly attached to my trails shoes.  


I reached the summit in less than an hour and was shocked to find it completely deserted. Yes, it was noon on a Wednesday. Yes, it was mid-December. And yes, it was in the 20's with the wind-chill. But still. It was weird. Especially since the other 3 times I'd been to the top of Cadillac (by car) it had been absolutely crawling with people.

I stayed at the summit for a good 15-20 minutes, just soaking in the view. Then slowly made my way back down to the car. A very happy hiker indeed! For a first summit outside of NH, I don't think I could have picked a better day, or place, to be!









1 comment:

  1. I just love the frosted look you captured at the top! Glad that you are enjoying the area.

    ReplyDelete